With the onset of space-age camping and field gear, the old adage “travel light is to suffer at night”, is far less true these days. Back in the day, packing light meant packing less. But now we have ultralight this and ultralight that … making it less of a drag to pack items like a tent system, a sleeping pad or inflatable, etc. But even if you could afford the “latest and greatest”, the question is … why would you want to sleep on the ground anyway? Two words … Jungle Hammock.
Why? Well, lots of reasons:
- It’s not just for the jungle. Depending on make and model, you can have 4-season functionality or apply fieldcraft to that effect.
- It keeps you off the ground … away from the creepy, crawling and slithering creatures, as well as out of the path of any other vermin that might inadvertently pay you a visit.
- It shields and protects you from the relentless swarms of flying and biting insects.
- It makes site selection less critical. Non-level, rocky, overgrown, inclined, or soggy terrain? No problem.
- It’s a tent, a bed, a chair, a lounger, and a gear loft.
- It can always still be used as a ground shelter and, by most standards, a pretty damn good one!
- Bottom/center balance entry design for easier (and safer) mounting and exiting.
- Diagonal axis and integral ridgeline design offers greater comfort, alternative sleep positions, roominess, and consistent form.
- Closure design uses your weight to automatically seal the entrance upon entry, while a full Velcro seal further secures you’re space and prevents inadvertent opening.
- Rugged, lightweight, bug proof, waterproof, and wind proof, with various size and multi-climate options.
- Tree-friendly rigging, a gear pocket, glove hooks, D-Ring loops (for more gear), multiple Rainfly options, and a quick-stuff sack system.
- Fast, straightforward setup and take-down, with no flexible expansion poles required.
Now don’t get us wrong, there are other expedition-grade hammock brands out there, all of which have features and attributes well worth considering. But for us, the novel bottom-up entry method and the flatter body position achieved by the diagonal sleep design combines to make all the difference. That, along with the fact that it’s still a simple compact design and maintains an otherwise traditional look, all went far enough for us in sealing the deal.
Find reviews on Amazon